Ingrown hairs are most common in areas where you shave or wax your hair’s-breadth, but they can occur anywhere hair’s-breadth grows. This includes the pubic area, base of the penis, or rotating shaft of the penis.
Ingrown hairs occur when the tip of a hair curl and grows back into the peel, or grows back into a hair follicle itself. They can cause itchy and painful red bumps, sometimes called razor bumps. They can be filled with clear, chicken, or green pus. Read on to learn more about ingrowing hairs on the penis, including how to treat and prevent this condition.
What are the symptoms?
Ingrown hairs on any depart of the body — including the pubic area, foundation of the penis, or shot of the penis — can appear as humble red bumps. The bumps may look like pimples or cysts, and may be filled with clear liquid or pus. The plutonium may be chicken or fleeceable if the bump is infected. The bumps may be itchy, annoyed, and painful. You may be able to see the small, dark, ingrowing hairs at the center of the bumps. There are early conditions that may besides cause bumps to appear on the pubic area, base of the penis, or cock of the penis. many of these conditions are harmless. They can include :
- Allergic reaction to soap or lotion.
- Pearly penile papules. These cause whitish bumps between the shaft and head of the penis.
- Irritation from rubbing on clothing.
- Septic spots. These are also known as common pimples.
- Fordyce spots. These are tiny yellow or white penile bumps. They may be more prominent on darker skin.
Some conditions that may cause bumps in the pubic and penis area are more serious and warrant an contiguous trip to the doctor. These include :
- Molluscum contagiosum. This is a viral infection that causes pearly, dimpled bumps.
- Genital herpes. This is a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that causes tiny, round blisters.
- Human papillomavirus (HPV). This STD causes painless genital warts.
- Syphilis. This is an STD that causes painless bumps.
Most ingrowing hairs will go aside on their own. If ingrown hairs have become infect, you ’ ll want to treat them to reduce the chance of more annoyance and promote infection. Infections left untreated can become worse and require medical attention. here are some tips for treating and removing ingrowing hairs on your penis :
- Before attempting to remove an ingrown hair, make sure to wash the area and your hands well with an antibacterial soap.
- A warm compress will help open the hair follicle and coax the ingrown hair closer to the surface of the bump. You can also try treating the area with an anti-acne product made with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide to reduce the swelling and encourage the follicle to open.
- Using a sterilized pin or tweezers, prick open the bump. Gently drain it of fluid or pus.
- Guide the hair out of the bump, taking care not to pull it completely out at the root of the hair.
- Treat the area with an antibacterial ointment or tea tree oil. Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties.
- Avoid shaving or waxing the area until it’s completely healed.
You may besides try applying hydrocortisone cream to the area to reduce itch and irritation. Buy anti-acne products, antibacterial ointment, tea tree oil, and hydrocortisone cream now .
What not to do
Although ingrowing hairs can cause very antsy bumps, try to avoid scratching the irritate area. Scratching it could worsen the discomfort and spread an infection. You should besides :
Read more : Top 4 free job posting sites nyc in 2022
- Avoid wearing clothing or undergarments that rub the area or are too constrictive.
- Dry the irritated area as soon as possible after sweating, bathing, or swimming.
- Avoid squeezing the bumps in an attempt to pop them.
many ingrowing hairs will clear up on their own without becoming infected .
Are there any complications?
Infected ingrowing hairs, when forget untreated, can lead to far bacterial or fungal infection. severe infections can lead to the constitution of atrocious and boastfully genital boils or swollen lymph nodes. hard infections can besides cause the pubic and groin area to develop night or raised scars. Ingrown hairs can cause a staphylococcus infection called pseudofolliculitis barbae, or sycosis barbae. This condition is normally referred to as barber ’ s urge or razor bumps. Barber ’ mho itch is most normally experienced by Black men. It often appears on the face and neck, but can besides occur in the pubic area, peculiarly if the area is waxed or shaved. Treatment includes antibiotics and pluck of infect hair follicles.
When to seek help
If the area where you ’ re experiencing ingrowing hairs becomes peculiarly infected or uncomfortable, you may want to visit your sophisticate. Your repair may prescribe topical or oral medicine to treat the infection and prevent far ingrowing hairs. These medications may include :
- topical steroids to reduce irritation
- topical hydrocortisone cream to reduce itch and inflammation
- topical retinoids to reduce dead skin cells and prevent scarring
- oral and topical antibiotics to clear up infections
What causes ingrown hairs?
Ingrown hairs can occur anywhere on the soundbox where you grow hair’s-breadth, and at any fourth dimension. They ’ re most coarse in areas where you shave or wax your hair. As hair grow back after shaving and waxing, they can curl and grow sideways, directing the topple of the hair back into the clamber where it becomes embedded. dry skin can cause the hair follicle to be clogged with dead bark cells, forcing the hair’s-breadth to grow sideways rather of up. It ’ south besides possible to have a genetic disposition that may make you more probably to get ingrowing hairs. For exemplar, people with thick, curlier hair are more prone to ingrown hairs. high levels of sex hormones can besides cause hair to grow promptly, possibly leading to more ingrowing hairs. Some skin conditions can besides increase your risk, such as keratosis pilaris, besides called follicular pilaris or “ chicken skin. ” This condition causes bumps to form on the peel from surfeit keratin. This surfeit keratin can close up haircloth follicles, causing ingrowing hairs. The pursuit can besides lead to ingrowing hairs :
- improper shaving techniques
- shaving too often
- not adequately preparing the skin for hair removal
Preventing ingrown hairs
Shaving and waxing the feign sphere less frequently will help reduce the chance of ingrowing hairs. When you do shave or wax, it ’ randomness significant to use proper hair removal techniques for better results. here are some tips to keep in thinker for proper hair removal :
- Use a fresh razor blade when shaving. A dull blade is more likely to lead to ingrown hairs.
- When shaving, shave in the direction that your hair grows, not against it.
- Try not to shave too closely to the skin.
- In between hair removal, keep the area well exfoliated to reduce the buildup of dead skin cells.
- Use a lotion, cream, or gel that’s designed for sensitive areas when shaving.
- Avoid clothing that keeps the area too moist or constricted.
- Consider hair removal options like electrolysis or laser hair removal.
An ingrowing haircloth on the penis may be uncomfortable, but it ’ ll clear up on its own in most cases. See your repair if the sphere is red or showing other signs of infection. besides talk to your doctor if you regularly develop ingrowing hairs. You may have an fundamental condition that increases your hazard for them .