When purchasing customs frames, it helps to familiarize yourself with some picture frame terminology. here are a few common painting ensnare terms with diagrams to get you started .
Summary of Practice
- The chop or frame supplier shall measure to the inside of the rabbet unless otherwise designated.
- Mouldings with double rabbets shall be measured to the inside of the front rabbet
- A standard allowance of 1/8″ shall be added to all ordered sizes. Any other instructions shall use a designated term (see “How to Order” section below).
How to Order
- Frame Size Orders shall be cut to the innermost rabbet with the standard 1/8″ allowance added. If the back rabbet size is most important the order shall state “Frame Size to Back Rabbet.” The cut shall have standard 1/8″ allowance. (see diagram 1)
- Exact Size No allowance shall be added
- Sight Size Cut to the inside moulding lip; no allowance shall be added (see diagram 1 and diagram 2)
- Fit Outside Fit around liners or inner frames, which should be ordered the size of the artwork/glazing package (see diagram 4 and diagram 5)
- Outside Size Cut to the outermost dimension; no allowance shall be added (see diagram 1 and diagram 2)
Common Picture Frame Terminology
* Diagrams below for your address .
Shall – A provision is compulsory
Should – A provision is not mandate, but recommended ampere good practice
May – A provision is optional
Allowance – Difference between the size of the objects being framed and the inside property of the frame
Designations – Terms that shall be used when orders for chops or frames differ from the 1/8″ standard allowance
Frame Size – Measurement across the back of the frame rabbet ( see diagram 1 )
Rabbet – Cut-out part of the back of a skeletal system that supports the art software ( see diagram 2 )
Back Rabbet – Rear – most rabbet in a mold with a doubling rabbet ( see diagram 3 )
Double Rabbet – Moulding with a typical rabbet near the movement and an extra rabbet near the back that supports the artwork or cosmetic bet on
Inner Frame / Liner – Secondary frame at heart of another frame
Stacked Frame – frame assembly made of more than one frame of reference
Exact Size – Ordered size − no allowance
Outside Size – Overall outside frame size ( see diagram 1 or diagram 2 )
Sight Size – Measurement ( demand, with no allowance ) across the inmost open of a ensnare ( see diagram 1 or diagram 2 )
Fit Outside – Fit around a liner or ensnare ( see diagram 4 or diagram 5 )