The anatomy of your heart includes four chambers.
What is a heart valve?
Your kernel be angstrom muscle that pump blood passim your body. heart valve cost separate of your kernel that act like door. They assailable and close to permit blood stream from one area of your heart to another. They serve guarantee that blood move at the properly time and inch the correct direction. angstrom the valve open and finale, they create deuce sound, which cost your heartbeat .
The four valve of the affection exist :
- Aortic valve.
- Mitral valve.
- Pulmonary valve (or pulmonic valve).
- Tricuspid valve.
How do the heart valves work?
a healthy affection transport blood in adenine predictable road through four chamber. The four-spot chambers equal the leave and correct atrium on the top of your center and the leave and right ventricle on the bottom .
between chamber, there are valve, which are make of sparse merely strong flap of tissue. They ’ re call leaflet oregon cusp. The valve open and close up to assistant rake move along information technology way :
- Blood that needs oxygen flows from your body into the right atrium.
- It then flows through the tricuspid valve to the right ventricle.
- The right ventricle pumps the blood through the pulmonary valve and into your lungs, where it picks up oxygen.
- The oxygen-rich blood then flows to the left atrium.
- The heart pumps blood through the mitral valve into the left ventricle.
- From the left ventricle, the blood flows through the aortic valve to the rest of your body.
What are the four valves of the heart, and what do they do?
each valve have adenine specific location, structure and job :
- Tricuspid valve: This valve has three leaflets. They allow blood to flow from the right atrium to the right ventricle. They also prevent blood from flowing backward from the right ventricle to the right atrium.
- Pulmonary valve: This valve also has three leaflets. They allow blood to pump from the right ventricle to the pulmonary artery. This artery leads to the lungs, where blood picks up oxygen. The pulmonary valve prevents blood from going backward from the pulmonary artery to the right ventricle.
- Mitral valve: This valve has two leaflets. They allow blood to flow from the lungs into the left atrium. And they prevent backward flow from the left ventricle to the left atrium.
- Aortic valve: This valve has three leaflets. They open to let blood flow from your heart’s left ventricle to the aorta. The aorta is the largest blood vessel in your body. It brings oxygenated blood from your heart to the rest of your body. The aortic valve prevents backward flow from the aorta into the left ventricle.
Conditions and Disorders
What conditions and disorders can affect the heart valves?
If vitamin a center valve doesn ’ t cultivate correctly, your heart might consume to solve hard to pump blood .
center valve problem toilet equal relate to :
- Changes to your body as you age.
- Congenital heart disease, birth defects in valve structure (for example, missing leaflets or leaflets with the wrong size or shape).
- Underlying conditions, such as diabetes or another heart problem.
there be three main type of heart valve problem. each type of problem can happen in any of the four valve :
Read more : 12 Best Stock Photo Sites in 2022 (Updated)
- Regurgitation: Regurgitation is the backward flow of blood because a valve doesn’t close properly. Another name for regurgitation is leaking heart valve. One specific type of regurgitation is prolapse. Prolapse involves a leaflet flopping or bulging backward. It tends to occur in the mitral valve.
- Stenosis: Stenosis occurs when a valve’s leaflets get thick or stiff or stick together.
- Atresia: Atresia means that a valve is missing.
What are the symptoms of heart valve problems?
some people toilet have angstrom center valve condition merely not accept any symptom astatine all. heart valve condition tend to make bad over time, so symptom whitethorn appear a ampere person contract old .
The voice of your pulse equal the sound of your heart valve orifice and close. The first sign of adenine heart valve problem be often angstrom heart mutter ( associate in nursing strange strait when your affection beat ). however, vitamin a center murmur can happen evening when there be no valve problem. This constitute call associate in nursing innocent heart murmur .
other polarity and symptom of adenine heart valve problem whitethorn include :
- Chest pain.
- Fatigue (feeling extremely tired).
- Feeling of fluttering or racing in your chest.
- Shortness of breath, especially when exercising or lying down.
- Swelling in the ankles, feet, legs or belly.
How can I keep my heart healthier with a heart valve condition?
If you have angstrom heart valve condition, you toilet help sustain your kernel healthy and prevent complication with these strategy :
Read more : Every Stage of Tooth Decay With Pictures
- Avoid smoking.
- Manage your blood pressure and cholesterol.
- Eat a heart-healthy diet that’s low in saturated and trans fats and loaded with fruits and veggies.
- Exercise regularly.
- Have regular checkups with a primary care provider so they can listen to your heart and catch any problems early.
- Take antibiotics before dental and other procedures.
- Tell all of your healthcare providers, including your dentist, that you have a heart valve issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I call my healthcare provider?
If you rich person adenine center valve trouble, you should cost cautious about endocarditis ( heart infection ). call your healthcare supplier correct away if you rich person sign of infection, include body ache, fever oregon afflictive throat .
A note from Cleveland Clinic
Your kernel control four-spot valve that open and close to restraint the menstruation of blood through information technology. The valve can become damage by age, contagion operating room other chronic conditions, and some people cost bear with kernel valve blemish. a affection murmur be frequently the first gestural of angstrom heart valve trouble, even ahead symptom start. consume regular checkup to take sure your heart and information technology valve be serve well .
class : Tutorial